Where no T.I.M.E. – Acts 5:1-11
170213-Acts51-11-Click to download audio podcast
1. Wow! That was a bit extreme don’t you think? Why on earth would God take this man who was at least partially generous and end his life so?
2. Remember Barnabas? What happened when he gave the apostles money for the poor? (Acts 4:36-37) (Was Barnabas one of the ones on the short list for Leadership in Acts 1:23 as some commentaries suggest? And what bearing would that have to the passage at hand?)
3. Who was Ananias? an-a-n?´as; of Heb. Ananiah, “protected by Jehovah”
(The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary.) We know who he was not, Acts 9:10-11; Acts 23:2 Was he a believer or brother in the Lord? 1 Cor. 5:5; 1 Jn 5:16
4. What was the main issue? (Acts 5:2) Look at Joshua 7:1-26 and come prepared to discuss the similarities.
5. Does God hold those striving to be in Leadership more accountable than those who are not? Lev 10:1-3; Eze 3:17-21; Jas 3:1
6. Why did Ananias and Sapphira do it? (Acts 5:3,9) 1 Kings 22:21-22; 1 Chron 21:1-3; Mat 4:3-11; Mat 13:19; Luke 22:3; Jn 13:2, 27
7. What did they hope to gain? (Gen 3:13-17) What was it that got in the way of True Intimacy? Heb 4:13
8. What can we do to avoid ending up like Ananias & Sapphira? Num 9:10,13; Jos 7:19; Ps 15:2;Prov 12:22; Prov 16:13; Zec 8:16; Rom 13:2; 1 Cor. 11:27-32; Eph 4:15,25; Eph. 6:11-16
I am in Christ, and I am telling you the truth. I do not lie. My feelings are ruled by the Holy Spirit, and they tell me that I am not lying.
Romans 9:1 (ICB)